Are you looking for some simple free video editing software for basic or are you in need of something more complex for a feature-length documentary?
The great news is that there are some excellent choices in a variety of price ranges.
There are several factors to consider when looking for the right video editing software.
- Are you editing a rough cut to hand over to a professional editor?
- How long is your documentary?
- How much fine tuning and control do you want over your footage?
- Is your documentary for broadcast television, theatrical release or web/in home viewing?
- Is your original footage high quality (with little need for improvement in editing) or is your footage quality lower (audio needs adjustment, video colors are off)?
Each of the video editing programs listed below offer something unique. However, if you are importing a variety of footage in different formats, you may want to consider the intermediate and professional options as they allow you to import more types of footage.
Another aspect to consider when choosing the appropriate editing software is how you plan on showing your video. The professional software programs will allow you to finalize your final video in practically any format of manner you desire. The beginner and intermediate software programs may be limited in how you export your final product.
Do you want to present your final product in Blue-Ray or simply upload it to YouTube or Vimeo for online viewing? If you are creating videos only for web use, the high end (and more expensive) editing programs may be overkill. However, if you desire to have your documentary seen in theaters, it is likely that the final output capabilities of the beginner programs will not give you the high end quality you will need to fill a huge screen while maintaining high levels of detail. So pro will be the way to go.